I am currently the children’s and YA editor at Re-Naissance Agency. My primary responsibility
is collaborating closely with teen authors to expand their contest-winning stories into full-length novels for the “For Teens, Written by Teens” imprint forthcoming from Re-Naissance’s partner MacKenzie Press. Like any developmental editing position, this role requires high-level editorial skill and sound judgment, but the unique interpersonal dynamic of working with very young authors necessitates particular clarity, delicacy, and flexibility.
I have also been a consulting editor for Sara Crowe, senior agent at Pippin Properties, for over three years. Sara relies on my trusted opinion on submissions as she builds her commercially and critically successful roster of middle-grade and YA titles. She also depends on my detailed, thoughtful editorial feedback on clients’ in-progress manuscripts to ensure their acquisition by a publisher.
In my previous position at The Horn Book, I was an integral part of a very small editorial team publishing the prestigious bimonthly children’s literature review journal The Horn Book Magazine, an encyclopedic review database, and daily digital content. My primary responsibility was managing five regularly scheduled newsletters, a lively blog, and social media posts across several platforms; this meant creating original content as well as curating and repurposing existing material and editing colleagues’ copy. I was also a prolific reviewer, reviewing hundreds of children’s and teen titles across a wide range of genre, audience age, and format. In this role I demonstrated flexibility, clear communication, and strong organizational skills as I collaborated with colleagues in my office and beyond.
I am committed to amplifying the full spectrum of diverse perspectives and voices. Out of the Box, the blog I launched for The Horn Book in 2010, originated as a place for conversational updates on children’s book news and glimpses “behind the scenes” of our publications. The blog retained its characteristic light tone, but evolved into a platform championing diverse books and a resource for parents and educators engaging with children around social justice causes. I apply this sense of social responsibility and sensitivity in evaluating manuscripts as well.
With my editorial experience, excellent communication skills, collaborative nature, and commitment to inclusivity, I believe I am an excellent addition to an editorial team.
Simmons College2006–2008MA, Children's Literature
Summa cum laude. Virginia Haviland Merit Scholarship and Children’s Literature Department Merit Scholarship recipient.
Humboldt State University2000–2005double BA, English Literature and Dance Studies
Magna cum laude.
Re-Naissance Agency/MacKenzie Press2019–presentChildren’s and YA Editor
• Shape fantasy/sci-fi novel novels in close collaboration with young authors for the upcoming “For Teens, Written by Teens” imprint.
• Evaluate writing contest entries and offer editorial notes for revision.
• Provide in-depth feedback, from developmental edits to copyedits, on current clients’ manuscripts in various stages of publication.
• Critique submissions and recommend promising additions to agent Sara Crowe’s exceptional middle-grade and YA list.
The Horn Book2010–2019Editor
• Chaired 2018 Boston Globe–Horn Book Awards committee and in that capacity tracked and evaluated approximately 1200 books submitted for consideration, coordinated committee discussion, and presented winners at awards ceremony.
• Edited and fact-checked articles and reviews for each issue of the bimonthly Horn Book Magazine; assigned and edited reviews for the Horn Book Guide Online review database.
• Reviewed hundreds of children’s and teen books across a wide range of audience age, genre, and format.
• Oversaw interview series “Publisher’s Previews” for each issue of the magazine, serving as liaison with multiple publicists and their featured authors as well as project manager for the editorial team.
• Managed the Horn Book’s website, review database, social media accounts, and 5 regularly scheduled newsletters.
• Wrote, assigned, and edited content as primary editor of blog Out of the Box, averaging 4 posts per week.
• Curated recommendations and wrote engaging copy for themed booklists, including the popular annual Summer Reading list.
You must sign in to bookmark this listing.