The Pre-Interview Interview
Its an art to be able to interview yourself and showcase your personality in a quick video.
A video presentation is a great tool to allow a hiring manager to get to know you in your own words.
Here are a few tips to get ready beforehand you hit record.
- Relax: shake off any jitters, loosen your shoulders; breathe!
- Get silly: Laughter reduces any tension you may be feeling.
- Check your video and audio setting. If you are using your phone be sure to mount it so does not shake.
- Smile and look right at the camera. Don’t look at yourself!
- Monitor your lighting and have your face front-lit.
- Have a good solid background. It’s ideal to have your background blurred, or have one that is not detracting from your message.
- Wear clothing that does not clash with your surroundings. Depending on your background image or wall, keep away from colors or patterns that may clash.
- If using Zoom, create a branded background
- Practice. Practice. Practice.
- Erase and record again until you are happy with it.
Topics to think about:
- Your design process
- Your thought process
- Discuss one of your projects
- Your Core values
- Your collaboration skills & teamwork
- Share what you are looking for in your next role
This is your opportunity to showcase who you are and why you’ll be an inspired hire! Good luck.